I’m a patient,
how do I get a referral FAQ
If you would like to see one of our Sexual Health Physicians Dr Graham Neilsen or Dr Fabiola Martin, to get a Medicare refund, you will need a referral from a GP.
Below you will find some questions and answers we are commonly asked on the topic.
If your question is not listed below, please feel free to give our reception team a call on 07 3857 1222 and they will be only too happy to assist.
How do I get a referral
Your regular GP is typically the best person to get a referral from. They know you the best and will usually have a detailed past medical history for you.
Speak with them about a referral and if they think this would be of benefit.
Commonly referred conditions
Examples of commonly referred conditions include:
- HIV management and testing.
- Management of other sexually transmitted infections (STI’s) including Chlamydia, Gonorrhoea, Syphilis and Hepatitis C.
- Long-term management of sexual dysfunction.
- Cervical screening,
- Breast checks,
- Initiation of testosterone PBS Authority prescribing for men with androgen deficiency.
- Gender-affirming treatment for transgender patients or patients who identify as gender diverse.
Common outcomes sought
- assess transgender patients;
- make recommendations for hormone treatment;
- suggest options for surgical and other support services;
- and offer a shared-care model with support for GPs.
Do Dr Graham & Dr Fabiola bulk bill
If you are a full time student or have a Commonwealth issued Concession Card and a valid referral, your consultation can be bulk billed to Medicare.
Why do I need a referral to see Dr Graham or Dr Fabiola?
Referral of patients under 18 to see Dr Graham or Dr Fabiola
Some patients may require referral to see Dr Graham or Dr Fabiola before they turn 18 years old. If this is the case for you please be aware the patient would typically need to be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Is a referral required to see the GP's at Stonewall
What happens if I have lost my referral?
Please speak with your referring Practitioner and request the referral be reprinted and signed.