I’m a Doctor,
I need to refer my patient FAQ
Common reasons for referral
Examples of commonly referred conditions include:
- HIV management and testing.
- Management of other sexually transmitted infections (STI’s) including Chlamydia, Gonorrhoea, Syphilis and Hepatitis C.
- Long-term management of sexual dysfunction.
- Cervical screening,
- Breast checks,
- Initiation of testosterone PBS Authority prescribing for men with androgen deficiency.
- Gender-affirming treatment for transgender patients or patients who identify as gender diverse.
Common outcomes sought by patients
Both Graham and Fabiola are happy to
- assess transgender patients;
- make recommendations for hormone treatment;
- suggest options for surgical and other support services;
- and offer a shared-care model with support for GPs.
Referral content & what to include
Your referral should include the following:
- Date of referral.
- Reason for referral.
- Length of referral especially if Indefinite.
- Patient demographics
- Phone number
- Medicare details
- Relevant clinical information about the patient’s condition for investigation, opinion, treatment & management
- Referring practitioner details
- Practice address
- Contact details
- Provider number
Please forward all referrals directly to Dr Graham Neilsen or Dr Fabiola Martin using Medical Objects or via a secure messaging system. Alternatively, our fax number is: 07 3857 2333. We do not use email for patient related material including receiving referrals. We also suggest giving a copy of the referral to your patient to bring to their first appointment.
Referral validity, length and start date
Referrals will typically be valid for:
- GP referrals 12 month.
- Specialist referrals 3 months.
Some patients may require an indefinite referral for long term management. If your patient requires indefinite referral please state this on your referral. Once you have made the referral, please ask your patient to make an appointment.
When does my referral start?
A referral starts from the date a Specialist first attends the patient, not the date issued.
For more information on this please view
- Section 31 Period of validity for referral of the Health Insurance Regulations 1975.