Dr Wendell Rosevear
O.A.M. MB BS. Dip.RACOG. FRACGP. J.P.(Qual.)
Favourite Given Nick Name: “ Nelson Wendella”.
Life’s Motto and Aim: ………“ to make Love infectious”
Dr. Rosevear lobbies nationally to generate understanding about Drugs, Addiction, Recovery, Prisons, Male Sexual Assault, Sexuality, Relationships, Suicide and Prevention. He believes passionately in the value of each person and in nurturing honesty to deal with life’s issues.
Recently Dr. Rosevear spoke at the TEDxUQ event on his life moto. You can view the talk by clicking here.
- 1980 M.B.,B.S.- UNIVERSITY OF QUEENSLAND
- 1985 Dip.R.A.C.O.G. – ROYAL AUSTRALIAN COLLEGE OF OBSTETRICS & GYNAECOLOGY.
- 1989 F.R.A.C.G.P.- ROYAL AUSTRALIAN COLLEGE OF GENERAL PRACTITIONERS
1975 JUSTICE OF THE PEACE
AWARDS & HONOURS:
- 1996 BRISBANE AUSTRALIA DAY CITIZEN OF THE YEAR
- 1996 AMA NATIONAL AWARD FOR “BEST INDIVIDUAL CONTRIBUTION TO HEALTH CARE INAUSTRALIA”.
- 1996 DAVID KOPP MEMORIAL AWARD FOR SERVICE TO THE GAY AND LESBIAN COMMUNITY.
- 1997 ANTI-VIOLENCE AWARD FOR WORK WITH MEN AFFECTED BY RAPE AND SEXUAL ABUSE.
- 1998 ORDER OF AUSTRALIA MEDAL.
- 2001 ‘LOCAL HERO’ AWARD IN CENTENNARY OF FEDERATION
- 2008 : 2020 SUMMIT Participant in the Building Communities, Strengthening Families and Social Inclusion Stream. Parliament House, Canberra.
- 2009 Gay & Lesbian Welfare Association Rev. Ivor Holman Award for training Telephone counselors since 1990.
- 2011 SameSame25 award as one of the 25 Most Influential Gay & Lesbian Australians
- 1980-82 RESIDENT MEDICAL OFFICER AT MATER HOSPITAL.
- 1983-84 DOCTOR AT WARBURTON, VIC. Country General and Hospital Practice including Drug & Alcohol Rehabilitation and Preventive Medicine.
- 1985 Relief work in Psychiatry, Aboriginal Health and General Practice.
- 1986-89 HOSPITAL WORK IN THE NEW TERRITORIES OF HONG KONG: including Outpatients, Inpatients, Obstetrics, Anaesthetics and Trek doctor in Nepal.
- 1990-2000 Co-founder of GAY AND LESBIAN HEALTH SERVICE at Gladstone Road Medical Centre and Stonewall Medical Centre. These clinics provide much of the community care for people with HIV/AIDS in Brisbane.
- 2000- Director of Stonewall Medical Centre.
- 1975-1982 PRISON CHAPLAIN AND ORGANIST.
- 1990-92 PRISON DOCTOR
- 1993-94 VOLUNTARY PRISON COUNSELING
- 1995-98 PRISON DOCTOR
- 1998-2005 : VOLUNTARY PRISON DOCTOR focusing on Counseling in Rape, Drugs and Alcohol Problems, Self-harm and Suicide Prevention, Sexuality and Relationships.
- Dr. Rosevear assisted the AMA develop the National Policy Statement on Prison Health Standards. He is active in Prison Reform
- 1991 – ongoing: Founder of GLADS- Gay & Lesbian Alcohol & Drug Support Group.
- 1992: Founder of Gay & Lesbian Alcoholics Anonymous in Brisbane.
- 1993 – ongoing: Founder of MARS – Men Affected by Rape & Sexual abuse. A Brisbane support group used by 386 men out of 1,123 sexually abused men that Dr. Rosevear has helped since 1992.
- 1994-96: GAYABLE – a support group for Gays and Lesbians with disability.
Dr. Rosevear is active in addressing how our community relates to individuals who use drugs and alcohol and advocates nationally for understanding and drug law reform.
He lobbies for suicide prevention and against discrimination at all levels.
He works with both male and female victims and male and female perpetrators of sexual abuse. He’s cared for 126 perpetrators in assisting their recovery from being abusive.
- Trainer for Gay and Lesbian Welfare Telephone Counseling Course
- Guest Lecturer for Lifeline, Kids & Parents Help Line, University of Queensland Medical Course and Indigenous Health Course.
- Inservice Lecturer at many High Schools to help teachers understand relationships, adolescents, drugs, sex and behaviour.
- Medical student tutor.
- Trains doctors how to relate to drug dependent people for the Methadone training programme.
- Trainer throughout Queensland to help carers assist men who have been sexually abused.