Dr James Allen
MBBS, LLB, Grad Cert HSM, FRACGP
Until November 2020 Dr James Allen will bulk bill all patients
I enjoy working at Stonewall because I feel more connected to the community I belong to, and many of the diverse patients who come to see me bring a little kindness and humour to my day. Everyone has an important story of where they have come from and it is a privilege to get to know people and the important parts of their lives.
My preference is to have relaxed and friendly conversations with my patients where we can build trust over time and to provide the information people need to make their own health choices. It is always rewarding when people feel comfortable enough to overcome a barrier that might have prevented them from getting help in the past. I value confidentiality, respect and patient choice.
New patients are welcome to make an appointment to have an honest discussion and ask me questions about my approach to see if this is a good fit for them.
I prescribe PrEP. I currently am not an S100 prescribed for HIV medications however I am happy to see patients who have HIV for other issues.
As far as my background is concerned, I studied a combined degree in medicine/surgery/Law at Monash University, graduating in 2004. Since then I have travelled throughout Australia working mainly in hospitals providing cover for Emergency, General Practice and Anaesthesia. This work has seen me spend many years between the Kimberley and Pilbara in WA, as well as many rural and regional towns in Queensland and Victoria.
Below is a summary of my associations and courses I have completed:
- B. Medicine; B. Surgery; B Laws (Monash)
- Grad. Cert Health Services Management
- Associate Fellowship College of Health Services Managers
- Fellowship Australasia College of Legal Medicine
- Fellowship Royal Australian College of General Practitioners
- Previously a JCCA accredited GP anaesthetist
- Early Management of Severe Trauma (College of Surgeons)
- Effective Management of Anaesthetic Crisis (College of Anaesthetists)
- Advanced Life Support in Obstetrics (College of Obstetricians)
- Basic Echocardiography
- Ultrasound in Emergency Medicine
- Advanced Paediatric Life Support