Dr Graham Neilsen
Sexual Health Physician
MBBS (Qld), Dip Ven (Liverpool), MM (Sexual Health), FAFPHM, FAChSHM, MASM.
Dr Graham Neilsen is one of our Specialist Sexual Health Physicians and one of only three in Queensland. Graham looks after a large number of both transwomen and transmen in the provision of their gender-affirming treatment. You can also see Graham for sexual health issues such as HIV and STI management and sex therapy. As he is a Specialist Sexual Health Physician, you will need a referral letter from your General Practitioner to see Graham. For instructions on how to refer to Dr Neilsen click here.
Graham has been working in sexual health and HIV for over 25 years both clinically and in public health. Graham returned to Brisbane in 2013 and has been with Stonewall since that time caring for many transgender, non-binary and other gender diverse people, intersex patients, and people with HIV and other STIs. He is also a Senior Staff Specialist with the Metro North HIV & Sexual Health Service where he works at the Gender Service of RBWH and the Sexual Health Clinics at Biala in Roma Street, Brisbane as well as Redcliffe.
In addition to his Master of Medicine degree in Sexual Health from the University of Sydney, he holds two specialist Fellowships from the Royal Australasian College of Physicians, one in Sexual Health Medicine and the other in Public Health Medicine.
From 2011-2012, Graham worked as an international consultant in sexual health and development and supported a major WHO consultation on transgender health in 2012. Prior to that, he spent 10 years in Bangkok as the Technical Advisor on Sexual and Reproductive Health with Family Health International. He has worked in many different settings in Australia as well as countries in Asia and Africa elsewhere.
Graham’s expertise includes improving the quality of HIV and sexual health care for men who have sex with men, transgender people, sex workers, and injecting drug users.
He offers treatment for men with erectile dysfunction and testosterone deficiency. He is the author of many papers on sexual health issues and has written several book chapters on the area.
Stonewall Medical Centre hosts two Sexual Health Physicains, Dr Graham Neilsen and Dr Fabiola Martin.
Graham was instrumental in the establishment of the new Gender Service at the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital (RBWH) in 2017.
- Master of Medicine (Sexual Health), University of Sydney, Australia, 1998
- Fellow, Australasian Chapter of Sexual Health Medicine, Royal Australasian College of Physicians, 1994
- Fellow, Australasian Faculty of Public Health Medicine, Royal Australasian College of Physicians, 1992
- Diploma in Venereology, University of Liverpool, United Kingdom, 1991
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, University of Queensland, Australia, 1979
SUMMARY OF KEY CURRENT APPOINTMENTS
- Sexual Health Physician, Stonewall Medical Centre, Brisbane
- Member, Sexual Health Ministerial Advisory Committee, Queensland Health
- Senior Staff Specialist, Sexual Health & HIV Service and Gender Service, RBWH, Metro North Hospital and Health Service, Brisbane
- Senior Lecturer, School of Medicine, University of Queensland
- Senior Lecturer, School of Public Health, University of Queensland
- Member, Transgender Clinician Advisory Panel, Queensland Health
Australia, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Botswana, Cambodia, China, East Timor, Ethiopia, India, Indonesia, Kosovo, Laos, Lesotho, Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Swaziland, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Viet Nam
- Life Member, true [formerly FPQ – Family Planning Queensland]
- Founding Committee Member, Queensland Intravenous AIDS Association (QuIVAA), Australia, 1988
- Founding Committee Member, Self-health for Queensland Workers in the Sex Industry (SQWISI), Australia, 1988